Awareness of FES
OML’s goal is to improve the daily lives of people who have neurologic disfunction by improving their mobility in lower and upper limb and other aspects of disability by providing Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) devices and clinical treatment.
We continue to help raise the awareness of FES as part of a patient’s (both adult and children) neurological rehabilitation. We would like all current and potential patients to be able to live an independent and fulfilled life from a Paralympian to popping to the shops.
FES is widely used for the correction of dropped foot, but can also be used for other treatments including:
- Exercise – for strengthening muscles
- Upper limb
- Subluxation of the shoulder
- To improve hand and arm function
- Assisted cough and blood pressure control in tetraplegia
- Facial paralysis/Bell’s Palsy
- Alleviate constipation/irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
OML not only provide FES devices and treatment in the Salisbury and other OML clinics but is also responsible for developing the devices, involved in FES research and training clinicians to use FES devices to provide FES treatment too.